Addressing People

Addressing friend's name

When a person is addressed 아/야 is attached to their name. If my name were 진우[Jin-u], my friend would call me, 진우야! [Jin-u-ya]. This is like "Hey 진우/Jin-u!"

This colloquialism should only be used between close friends. This is an informal expression. At school, friends call each other this way, and teachers to students but not vice versa.

Note that 야 is used for names without a final consonant and 아 for names with a final consonant.

Eg.

  • 진욱 → 진욱아! 
This is pronounced [지누가:Ji-nu-ga] since ㅇ has no sound when used as an initial consonant.
  • 진우 → 진우야! 
It is pronounced [지누야:Ji-nu-ya]
  • 영희 → 영희야!
  • 철수 → 철수야!
  • 경일 → 경일아!

So when you call your Korean friend's name, just add 아/야 to their name.

7 comments:

  1. haha, I did this with my Korean friends and they were so shocked ㅋㅋㅋ. I love seeing their reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what about 이

    like 민경이

    I've heard it before so I was wondering if it fits under this category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi 초롱이

    이 is attached to names that have a final consonant when addressing them to a third person.

    For example, I would call you, 초롱 or 초롱아 but when I'm talking to someone else about you, I'd address you as 초롱이.

    For example,
    너 어제 누구 만났어? = Who did you meet yesterday?
    초롱이 만났어 = I met 초롱이.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Luke,
    1. I am confused when using I= 난,내가,나,제,저는 & YOU=넌,너,당신은...
    can you please explain?

    2. What is the meaning of 그쪽은요? is it mean "how about you?" under what situation i can use these words?

    Thanks for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i see some people addressing/adding 잉 or 짱 behind names, instead of 씨 or 님. can you explain more about addressing 잉 or 짱, it make me confused, 감사합니다...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 안녕하세요 선생님. 저는 세부 사감 입니다. I have been learning Korean from scratch. Since I love watching Korean dramas,I decided to learn Korean since its facinates me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...