Particles - 에서, 까지 [From, to; at/in]

에서, 까지 [From, to]

에서 and 까지 are used after places/times just like "from" and "to" in English.

Example sentences

  • 집에서 학교까지 = From home to school
  • 1시에서 2시까지 = From 1pm to 2pm
  • 영국에서 왔어 = I came from England
  • 산 정상까지 올라갔다 = I climbed up to the summit of the mountain.
  • 저녁까지 돌아와 = Come back by evening
영국 = England
산 정상 = mountain summit
저녁 = evening


에서 [At/in]

에서 is used after places to mean that something is happening at a particular place.

Example sentences
  • 학교에서 미식축구를 했다. = At school, we played American football.
  • 일식집에서 초밥을 먹었다 = At a Japanese restaurant, I ate sushi.
  • 공원에서 배드민턴을 쳤다 = In a park, we played badminton.
  • 방에서 공부를 했다 = In my room, I studied.
  • 화장실에서 샤워를 했다 = In the bathroom, I had a shower.
미식축구 = American football
일식집 = Japanese restaurant
초밥 = sushi
공원 = park
배드민턴 = badminton
방 = room
공부 = study (noun)
공부를 했다 = studied
화장실 = bathroom/toilet
샤워 = shower
샤워를 했다 = had a shower (Lit. did a shower)

Note: In spoken Korean, 를/을 is usually omitted.

For example:
공부를 했다 → 공부 했어 (I studied)
샤워를 했다 → 샤워 했어 ( I had a shower)
저녁을 먹었다 → 저녁 먹었어 (I had dinner)

9 comments:

  1. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't help but think that 집에서 학교까지 should be "From home to school"

    ReplyDelete
  2. these verbs = 공부를 했다 / 샤워를 했다 , why do you put 를 ,I could not understand ,isnt that 공부 했다 ?
    thank you , I really love that blog !

    ReplyDelete
  3. To anonymous
    집에서 학교까지 means "From home to school". Thanks for noticing it. I have made a correction.

    To Gongju

    In written Korean, 공부를 했다 / 샤워를 했다 is conventionally used with 를 attached. But in spoken Korean, people usually omit 를 and just say 공부 했어 / 샤워 했어.

    I've added some explanation for this at the end of this article.

    "What an honour to reply to 공주님(princess)!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. 부터 also means from, if I'm not mistaken.

    I think maybe you should elaborate on the difference between 에서 and 에. I think my Japanese teacher said one is for when you are actively doing something, and the other is stationary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what are the differences among these?

    에, 에서, & 까지

    thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm confused with 에 and 에서. What's the difference? Do you say 집에 가 or 집까지 가 for "I go home"? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 에 use with 가다 , 오다 , 있다 하지만 에서 use with another verb 사다 놀다 하다

      Delete
  7. I'm going to try to answer the first question of caldevera.
    As far as I know.
    Generally, 에 has a meaning "to", while 에서 has a meaning "in/at".
    So 에 is used with mostly with verb 가다 or 오다.
    Example: 집에 가다. (i go home)
    While you use 에서 with other verb except "to have"(있다) or "not to have"(없다).
    Example: 집에서 먹다 (i eat at home)

    Please correct me if i'm wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I want to ask 1 question to you. Could you?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...