Adverbs - 부사

Adverbs - 부사

Adjective
Present
Adverb
Positive
크다
크게
Negative
크지 않다
크지 않게
안크게

Note: 크지 않게 is more commonly used in written Korean while 안크게 is more common in spoken Korean.

Rules

1. Take 다 off an adjective of the present tense and attach 게/지 않게 to it.
2. Attach 안 to a positive form of adverbs to turn it into its negative form.


Written Present
Adverb
High
높다
높게, 높이
Low
낮다
낮게
Big
크다
크게
Small (size)
작다
작게
Spacious
넓다
넓게
Delicious
맛있다
맛있게
Many
많다
많게, 많이
Small (quantity)
적다
적게
Kind
착하다
착하게
Fast
빠르다
빠르게, 빨리
Slow
느리다
느리게
Handsome
멋있다
멋있게


Note:

Adverbs come just before verbs to describe actions.

많다, 빠르다 and 높다 each have two adverbial forms. 많이, 빨리 and 높이 are more commonly used than 많게, 빠르게 and 높게.

Example sentences
  • 나는 스테이크를 맛있게 먹었다 = I ate my steak "deliciously" (Lit. I enjoyed my steak)
  • 거북이는 느리게 걷는다 = A tortoise walks slowly
  • 밥을 많이 먹었다 = I ate a big meal. (Lit. I ate a meal a lot.)
  • 집에 빨리 가자! = Let's go home quickly!
  • 철수는 결승점까지 빨리 달렸다. = Cheol-su ran fast to the finish line.
  • 성우는 케이크를 크게 만들었다 = Seong-u made a large cake. (Lit. Seong-u made his cake big.)
  • 높이 나는 새가 멀리 본다 = The higher a bird flies, the farther it sees. (Lit. A bird which flies high sees afar.)

11 comments:

  1. 나는 스테이크를 맛있게 먹었다 = I ate my steak deliciously.

    In English, you would never say this. You could say, I ate a delicious steak. Is that what you are trying to say?

    If so then delicious would become more of a descriptive verb.

    Is this an acceptable phrase in Korean? Is it just one of those phrases that do not literally translate well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @kawon - 나는 스테이크를 맛있게 먹었다 --- it's an acceptable phrase in korean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kawon

    There are some expressions in Korean that do not translate literally in English (or other languages), this is especially true for adverbial expressions.

    Another example might be:
    아, 재미있게 놀았다!
    Literal translation: Ah, I played funnily!
    Translation that actually makes sense: Ah, I had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, your explanations really make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 나는 스테이크를 맛있게 먹었다 = I ate my steak deliciously. Proper translation: I enjoyed my steak.

    Another example would be: 맛있게 먹어요! Proper translation: Enjoy your meal!^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you also have a korean adverbs and adverbials like 그르니까 and 하여튼 etc..?please post..thankyou and more power

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      그러니까 means "so / therefore"

      하여튼 means "anyway / anyhow"

      I might include these adverbs in future posts.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  7. How do you translate the english adverb "solely" or adverb derived from nouns like manly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi altmaer,

      'Solely' would be 오로지, 단지.

      'Manly' would be 남자다운

      Delete
  8. So it's basically makes more sense, to native Korean, to describe verbs with adverbs, instead of describing nouns with adjectives, like probably in most other western language?

    For example to say "I ate delicious rice" in Korean you wrote earlier:
    밥을 맛있는 먹었다
    As non native Asian speaker I would probably say:
    나는 맛있는 밥믈 먹었다

    I can see beautiful people in Korean:
    사람들 아름답는 볼 수 있다
    While I would say:
    난 아름다운 사람들 볼 수 있다

    So back to question: Describing verb makes more sense to native Korean, than describing nouns, or it doesn't matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 맛있는 밥을 먹었다 makes sense, and you can say 밥을 맛있게 먹었다 as well.

      For "I can see beautiful people in Korea," it would be like 난 한국에서 아름다운 사람들을 볼 수 있다.

      You do still use adjectives describing nouns in Korean as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...